A cool spring night is perfect for a movie night at home!
Movie Night Pretzels
Makes: 32 pretzel rods
Time: 80 minutes total.
- ¼ ounce (one packet) active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water (110° to 115° F)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Optional: Coarse salt and warm cheese sauce
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add the sugar, butter, salt and twi cups flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6–8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about one hour.
- In a large saucepan, bring eight cups of water and baking soda to a boil.
- Punch dough down; divide into 32 portions.
- Roll each into a 5-in. log. Add to boiling water, a few at a time, for 30 seconds.
- Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Place on greased baking sheets.
- Lightly beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over pretzels.
- If desired, sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 425° until golden brown, 9–11 minutes.
- Remove from pans to wire racks.
- Serve warm with cheese sauce, if desired.